Probably most creations end up at least a little different from the design first envisaged in the crafter’s minds eye; this 90th birthday ‘card’ certainly changed considerably from first concept to final result – but I believe it is all the better for that evolution.
I had originally planned to make a 6”x 6” card which, when opened, would reveal two pockets from which would peep tags with mounted images of Margaret, her village, pets and family. The base card would be made from a piece of 12”x 12” Kraft card which was to be folded, cut and stuck to create the pockets.
We asked one of Margaret’s sons to see if there were any family photos we could use. The wonderful response was the catalyst that changed the initial card into the Memory Book seen in the pictures and video clip.
The Kraft card theme still remained, but heavier cardboard was used to make the covers which needed to be about 6”x 4”; to ensure the holes allowing the card to be held together were hidden, the cover was made slightly longer than required, then the edge with the holes was folded inward.
A selection of the scanned photos sent by the family were cropped in our photo processing software and, as there was a mixture of black & white, sepia & white and colour photos, I used the same software to create sepia-toned versions of all the photos – this gave a coherence to the album and linked nicely with the Kraft card based colour scheme.
The photos were all printed on a medium weight card, trimmed to 6”x 4” and a single-hole hole-punch used to make the holes for threading the album together – this was done using a coordinating ribbon knotted at the back.
For the embellishment of the front of the album, I reverted to the original birthday card idea. Using a selection of Kraft, beige and muted gold pearlescent card I created matted layers which were stuck to the cover cardboard. The flowers were cut in felt, Kraft card and a Papermania patterned paper using the Spellbinders Spiral Blossom One die; the Kraft card spiral was inked through the die with (rather appropriately) ‘Vintage Photo’ Distress Ink and the pattern on the Papermania paper flower was a music score linking to the fact that Margaret had sung with a local choir for many years.
The flowers were rolled, glued, centred with an ivory ‘pearl’ and allowed to set before being glued into place on the front of the album around a ball of waste felt to give the posy dimension and prevent it flattening when dry.
The leaf flourishes were cut from the same Papermania ‘music’ paper using Cheery Lynn Die ‘Fanciful Flourish’ B117, two were stuck behind the posy.
The greeting was printed on to white card on our colour laser printer and then cut out using Spellbinders Labels Four Small die (the largest one). The matte for this was created using the faux-matte method I learnt from the amazing Sue Wilson – the largest of the Labels Four Small dies was drawn around and cut out using scissors, then layered behind the greeting. This was then glued to the album cover, ensuring not to trap the leaf flourishes.
To finish, bronze half ‘pearls’ were glued on the top left and bottom right of the cover, and a piece of white card glued inside the front cover enabled us to write our birthday wishes to our inspirational friend.
I am very glad to say that Margaret loved the Memory Book and it received many lovely comments as it was passed around the family and friends attending her party.