I must admit to being a nervous blogger. It took me ages to pluck up the courage to start blogging and I am awaiting my first few visitors and their comments with apprehension – so you can understand that entering my first blog challenge is another BIG step.
I achieved the status of Spectrum Noir Accredited Colourist early this year (2013), and ever since I have been on the verge of entering their monthly challenge.
On seeing the May Challenge – “Colouring with Purples” – I felt it was a sign; simply because it’s my favourite colour!!
So, here goes!
I started with a (late lamented) Kanban stamp – from their Jasper set. This lovely burlesque / steampunk corset dress with top hat suited the rich, decadent look I had in mind.
Once I’d coloured this, I knew I had a gorgeous ‘Cadbury’s’ purple mirror board in a pack by Creata that was a perfect match for the Spectrum Noir colours I had used :
Corset dress & hat: LV1, LV2, LV3, PL4, PL5, True Black & Blender
Shadow outline: BGR1
I wanted more of this mirror board to show than with normal matting and layering, so I used the largest die in the Spellbinders 5×7 Enchanted Labels 28 set (S6-003) which gave the stamped and coloured image ‘room to breath’, but also had open corner details to allow the rich purple mirror card to shine through.
Now comes a confession – the die was large enough to ‘catch’ some colour swatches I’d scribbled to the side of the image whist I was colouring…..DOH!!
So now I needed something to cover the top right hand corner of the die cut image – not the normal place for a ‘hide-all’ bow or other embellishment – or I would have to colour another image from scratch.
Whilst I was scouring my craft room (and the rest of the house) for inspiration I came across some crumpled purple tissue paper in our gift wrapping drawer – Aha!
I knew I also had some white tissue paper that I had bought for transferring images onto candles, and that it was in my craft room…….somewhere!
After hours of searching I found said tissue paper and, using Spellbinders die Blossom (S4-192), cut the three smallest sizes of flower from folded tissue paper. I then ran Spectrum Noir pen LV3 around the edge of the white tissue flowers and layered differing numbers of sheets of the purple & white tissue flowers, the larger blooms have all three sizes and the smaller blooms just the two smaller size of flower.
Once I had the layers roughly centred on a spongy mat I pushed a pokey tool through the layers to punch a hole, then fixed the layers together with a small brad. I then ‘scrunched’ each layer of tissue starting at the centre of the flower; once all layers had been done the flower was teased open to give a natural look.
I made the stick pins using long head pins (jewellery findings) with Swarovski bicone crystals, glass faux pearls and faceted glass beads in the same colour range.
The lilac matte is Adorable Scorable from Hunkydory and the edge of the base card is inked with Spectrum Noir pen LV3.